Saturday, July 17, 2010

Little Finn

So my mom was teasing me that I had better update our blog before our child was 6 months old! She has a good point. Knowing me, that would probably be the case!

So here is the story of our little Finn:

It was July 5th and I had gone to bed the night before having some stomach cramps. I had had Braxton hick’s contractions before and so I thought it was strange to just have cramps in my lower stomach. I thought contractions would be your whole stomach. So, I tried to sleep (unsuccessfully I might add). I woke up the next morning and told my mom. She wasn’t sure either. I decided to go to the 4th of July parade with my family. We walked down to Main Street from my grandma’s house and that helped me feel a little better. After the parade we went to the park with my brother, his wife, and their kids. I was still feeling pretty uncomfortable. I went home and tried to research online what contractions should feel like (good ol’ Google right?). I didn’t find much. So still, wasn’t sure what was up. I tried to take a nap since I was so exhausted, but they were too painful. I decided to call the hospital and ask them what they thought. She said there was no real way to tell unless I came in. She said I could also try and take a bath and if it subsided I would know it was false labor. Well, since Cam was 8 or 9 hours away, we decided it wouldn’t hurt to just go to the hospital. (For those of you that don’t know, I have been living at home in Utah with my parents while Cam is in Montana doing a clinical rotation for school). Sorry if that was too much info for everyone. Just wanted to give the story!

We got to the hospital and the nurse checked me. I was dilated to a six!! I called Cam and told him to start the long trek to Vernal! They moved me into a labor room. I debated for a while but decided to get an epidural (hurray for modern medicine). The nurse knew Cam was quite some time away, so she just kept putting things off. She would say, “I’ll be back in 15 minutes to check you…” and then she would come back an hour later. I was getting nervous watching the little heart monitor, but Finn seemed to be doing okay. So, we just kept waiting and putting things off, watching that clock. I kept calling Cam periodically. He took the longer way home (taking 9 hours instead of 8). He finally showed up at 2:20am. It was such a miracle that he made it! We definitely had some heavenly help on our hands! We had been praying the previous weeks that he might be able to be there! The doctor came and they broke my water and I had him an hour later! It was so amazing! We love our little guy so much!

We named him Finneas (Finn) Ethan Hardy. He was 7 lbs 8.8 oz and 20 inches. I didn’t love the name Finneas at first, but Cam thought he needed something more substantial than just Finn. I guess he has a point. Also, when he is in trouble, “Finneas Ethan” probably packs more weight than just yelling “Finn Ethan”. We shall see!

I really can’t believe we are parents! It is such and unreal feeling. It was nice to have Cam here for a few days. He just jumped into the parent thing like this was his seventh kid and he had been doing it for years! I on the other hand am the clueless, scared one! He is back in Montana now. It has been hard not being with him! I don’t feel quite like myself without him. However, we have been extremely blessed through this whole school experience.

I feel extremely inadequate as a parent! Everything worries me! I’ve already cried I don’t know how many times! My parents probably think I am a nut case! He threw up the other day (Which is awful; its happened a few times!) and then he started gagging after that! I had a little break down/outburst. Pathetic I know! I have been glad to have some help around. We have a family edition Old Testament that Cam and I have been reading that has some quotes in it that relate to the stories. Here is one that really touched me the other day:

“We humble people, we who feel ourselves sometimes so worthless, so good-for-nothing, we are not so worthless as we think. There is not one of us but what God’s love has been expended upon. There is not one of us that He has not cared for and caressed….We may be insignificant…in our own eyes and in the eyes of others, but the truth remains that we are the children of God and that He has actually given His angels…charge concerning us, and they watch over us and have us in their keeping” – Elder George Q. Cannon

I believe some of those angels are mortal! I have some amazing family and friends! I have really felt God’s love lately and I am so grateful for his mercy. Even though I fall so short and struggle in many ways, I know that he listens to our prayers and is concerned with each of us.

Well, hopefully I will get some more pictures soon and keep up with this. We shall see! Miss you all! Here are a few pictures!




Excuse my hair! I had a bit of a fever and had put a wet rag on my head.




He had the hiccups. He gets them all the time!

17 comments:

Julienne said...

I saw you left me a comment and so I hoped that meant you had updated! I'm so glad that Cam made it and that everything went well. When you moving closer? I miss ya. Tell Cam I'll get him a rotation here in Logan where he will learn so much (ok not really). Hopefully we will see you soon! He is so cute and I love the name Finn and I love that Finneas means that you are serious because I know how mad you can get....or maybe a lack of anger on your part. Hang in there. Things will get easier and I'm sure as the hormones start to settle down you will feel a little more "normal." Talk to you soon girl. Love ya.

Lacey said...

What a great post! I love hearing all the stories and details. Thank goodness that Cam made it in time! And I have to say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the name Finn! He is absolutely beautiful. I know that parenting is sometimes totally overwhelming in the beginning, but I have no doubt that you are an awesome parent! Congrats to your darling family!

Sheena said...

Aww, he's so cute! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing your story, and your struggles and testimony. You will make it through, and I am sure that you are learning a lot and growing, and being a better mom than you think you are. I like it when you update your blog!

Sarah said...

Congratulations you guys! He is so adorable, and his name is very cute! Good job holding on, til Cam got there, Tawny :)

Shaylah said...

Tawny, you are an amazing person and I know you are an amazing mother as well. It isn't easy, especially at first, but these little babies they love us no matter what and teach us so much about being better people as well as mothers. You are in no way inadaquate. It's so nice to be there with your family. When we brought Breah home after 2 weeks in the NICU we were all alone and so far away. I cried multiple times every day and would just call my mom bawling and telling her I couldn't do it. My Grandpa Craig finally told my Grandma she better get dwon there to take care of me. He probably saved me life, but we got through it and now I'm on #2...it's still hard but it gets easier, so hang in there! we love you guys!

Rachel said...

Oh Tawny Congratulations!!!! I am so excited for you. I was thinking about you just the other day and wondering if you had had your baby. I am so impressed with you and so glad Cam could make it. Finn is so cute and I love the name. I know that you are doing a wonderful job as a mother. You were always so cute with Abigail. Finn is such a lucky boy to have you as his mother. Call me anytime. I would love to talk. The crying is totally normal:) Jordan would come home from school to find me crying and ask me what was wrong. Most of the time I had no idea:). I love you and am so excited for you.

THE BELL HOUSE BLOG said...

I am so proud of you for blogging so soon. FInn is soooo handsome I am so happy for you guys!

Josh and Lyndi Smith said...

Oh he is precious. Love those cheeks! Glad everything went well and that you have a support system in place to help you get through the first little while...it is tough sometimes but so fun and great and worth it. I am sure you are a natural too- just harder on yourself than boys ever are :)

Nicky and Patrick said...

He is so sweet. Congrats! We are so excited for you guys. Now you have to keep up with your blog so we can see him grow;)

Lindsay said...

What a beautiful baby!!! Congratulations!!!!! We are so happy for you two! Keep in touch!

Ericka said...

Tawny!!! What a cutie and I know you are a great mom! What a crazy delivery story...glad Cam made it in time :) Congrats to both of you!

Benilynn said...

AMAZING!!! You are. I am so glad Cam made it in time. What a tender mercy. You are so tough to be at a 6 and not even know it. THANK YOU so much for your post...I am so glad you shared that quote. Some of the feeling you expressed are exactly what I feel too...so inadequate and scared. Annie did the throw up thing too, and I started bawling as well. I am bummed that you guys are not in OR our little babies would have play dates all the time. Congratulations!! We are so happy for you and Cam.

Nick Scott Family said...

He is so cute and I still can't believe we've made it to Vernal to see this little guy! We are so excited for you two and hope to see you soon. What a cutie!! Congratulations to you both.

Keisha said...

He is adorable. I loved reading your post!!

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh! What an adorable little baby! He is precious. Congrats you guys!

AKC Labradors said...

Man oh man I miss you guys so much already! You should probably update your blog so I don't forget what you look like! Ha, ha, just kidding. Love you guys lots! Miss ya, and can't wait for updated pictures! ;)

bobandhaley said...

I can't believe I missed this post over 5 months ago. Finn is adorable! Congratulations Hardy Family!